Master in Education Sciences – Education with the use of new technologies
The Department of Primary Education of the University of the Aegean offers from the academic year 2004-2005 a Postgraduate Programme (M.Ed.) entitled "Education Sciences – Education with the use of new technologies", which leads to a Master's Degree (M.Ed.).
Subject – Objectives of MEd
The subject of the MEd is the specialization of graduates and the research in Educational Sciences and especially in Education with the use of New Technologies. The main objective is to contribute to the production of knowledge and problem solving in the era of Education with the use of New Technologies.
Specifically, graduates should be able to:
- use new technologies for communication, access to libraries, archives, etc.
- find and use supporting material, to produce new teaching material with the use of New Technologies
- create joint programs, work and research with colleagues and students in different geographical regions of the country
- approach interdisciplinary and global the complex problems arising in education
- communicate and collaborate with colleagues from other language and cultural environment
- develop a critical relationship with the educational reality and the processes of knowledge production.
Master in Higher Education Policy. Theory and Praxis
The Department of Primary Education of the University of the Aegean offers from the academic year 2016 – 2017 a Postgraduate Programme (M.Ed.) entitled "Higher Education Policy. Theory and Praxis" which leads to a Master's Degree (M.Ed.).
This programme is organized and is in collaboration with these three Departments:
Department of Primary Education, University of Patras
Department of Primary Education, University of the Aegean
Department of Social and Educational Policy, University of Peloponnese.
Course start date: September, 2016.
Its base is in Patra.
The duration of the Postgraduate Programme is three (3) semesters in which the graduate thesis is included.
Attendance is mandatory.
Seminars are held on Friday to Sunday.
The selection of students is made by awarding points.
Subject – objective – aim of the MEd
Τhe subject of the MEd is higher education and more specific, higher education as a social institution and as a way to develop and implement policies in national, European and international level. Higher education policy as an independent discipline of education policy and education sciences.The choice of higher education as the MEd subject should be regarded as self-evident because nowadays is inseparable with social, economic, technological and cultural development and progress. This is also the reason that today, higher education is the main focus of interest both politically and scientifically. Particularly at European level, the creation of the European Higher Education Area as a result of the Bologna Process is now developing a new international framework for the operation and development of higher education and creates increased demands and expectations for the future.
This programme is addressed to graduates of various disciplines who are interested to specialize in this subject but also to those who want to have the experience of doctoral study. Additionally, to professionals (administrative or scientific staff working at higher education institutions or institutions linked to higher education, such as ΑΔΙΠ, ΕΣΥΠ and Ministry of Education) who are interested in improving their skills and their knowledge regarding the latest trends, developments and prospects of higher education in Greece, Europe and internationally.
The thesis subject and the selection procedures and requirements of the doctoral candidates are determined and established in accordance with Article 13 of Law. 2083/1992. PhD students of the Department of Primary Education are considered postgraduates students and have all legal rights and obligations as such.
Candidate Selection Process
- The candidates file an application to the Secretary of the Department and the necessary supporting documents – as described in the relevant paragraph of Law. 2083/1992 and a brief description of the proposed thesis.
- Thereafter, the candidate will be invited to an interview from the Selection Committee.
- After considering the qualifications of the candidates, the Selection Committee makes a proposal to the General Assembly of the Department.
- The General Assembly assesses and finally selects the PhD candidates.
- Sets three-member committee of faculty members, one of whom is the supervisor, who should be professor, associate professor or assistant professor of the Department.
Preparation & Support
- The duration can not be less than three years from the date of approval of the thesis.
- As the law states, the candidate should submit at the end of each year a progress report on the Assembly of the Department, through the Advisory Committee. If the candidate does not meet the obligations, the Assembly, upon Advisory Committee's report, may decide to cancel the development of the thesis.
- The Advisory Committee decides whether the research objectives of the thesis have been completed, by evaluating the scientific work of the candidate.
- The final judgement of the thesis is done by a seven-member Examination Committee. For the approval of the dissertation, at least five members of the Committee should agree.
The nomination of the candidate to doctorate is made by the Assembly of the Department, based on the findings of the Examination.